Sunday, August 20, 2017

Saturday Morning Market

Ever since I moved down to Whangarei I have been attending the Saturday morning Growers Market. I bought fruit, vegetables and meat.  It is only recently that we have started going in earlier to purchase  fish or seafood.  Even going in early the filleted fish is often sold out.  Last week there was only school shark available in the filleted fish but we were able to buy a couple of Sole.  We also buy pottles of shelled mussels and either Doug makes fritters or I make a chowder.

Yesterday morning we got to the market at about 6.40 a.m.  although it cleared it had been raining heavily during the night and early morning and we thought the number of people attending might be down.  All that was left of the filleted fish was 1 1/2 packs of Tarakihi one of my favourite fish.  We usually buy two packs and that gives us three meals for the two of us.  This week I managed to freeze enough for two meals for the two of us which left one meal with slightly less fish than usual.  We had also bought a pottle of mussels and one of oysters.

We had some oysters for lunch but decided to keep some to have with the fish for our evening meal.  I made a mash of agria potatoes, kumara (sweet potatoe) and carrots., creamed leek and sweetcorn and coated the fish and oysters in fine cornmeal before dipping in egg and frying in coconut oil.  The remainder of the egg was fried as well.  Everything came from the market (the sweetcorn was bought over the summer and then blanched, taken off the cobs and frozen in small packs for use over winter).

I think the meal looks a bit bland as everything is quite pale but Doug thought it so delicious that he insisted I take a photo.


From the bottom going clockwise - oysters, egg, tarakihi corn and leeks and the potatoe, kumara and carrot mash.

12 comments:

  1. AHH wonderful NZ food. Fresh fish, sweet corn , Kumara. It looks and sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious. I think we will be getting oysters more often to have some to enjoy with the fish (as well as oysters for lunch.

      Delete
  2. I love growers markets..nothing like that near here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is a really good one. I am planning on getting a vegetable garden in again but will still go to the market.

      Delete
  3. I haven't eaten Oysters for ages. Lady M doesn't like them so I'm deprived. I have to wait for Kimbo to turn-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't you have them while Lady M has fish or mussels or something.

      Delete
  4. Freash Food from the Farmers' Market is the best. You've made some fantastic meals Sue. My sweetcorn is ready in the tunnel. I microwave one for five minutes and then smother it in butter - mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do wonders in that tunnel. I rarely eat corn off the cob prefer to remove it first.

      Delete
  5. I miss Whangarei. Until 2 years ago I lived in Mangawhai heads for 20 years, I still have relatives who live up your way though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it here. The new Loop Walk is great and, of course, all the other walks around town.

      Delete